Day 14 Post-Op, 4th day home.

Well, it’s Wednesday today, I came home from the hospital on Saturday, so it’s 4 days now that I’ve been back home. Although I am still not doing much, today is the first day I feel like a whole human being! I knew as soon as I woke up, because I felt crabby! Not because of any one legitimate thing, I just felt crabby. Then I realized that it was *precisely* because my body was feeling better that I could feel truly crabby rather than sick, or achy, or pitifully tired. Just run-of-the-mill crabby. That thought made me happy.

Doctor visit

The follow-up appointment with Dr. Childs went smooth as silk. Although I was fatigued as hell from the drive in to Santa Monica, and was holding back some aches and pains, she said everything looked healthy and was well on track to recovery. I asked about the back ache I had been suffering from since the first surgery; that was most likely due to how much time I spent on my back while in the hospital. I asked about a perpetual yawn feeling in my ears; that sounded like some kind of congestion. So nothing really unusual about the recent surgery and recovery to report. I’ll see her again in 2 weeks.

Out with the old…

Matt changed my illiostomy bag this morning. It was starting to stink, so it had to go. I had a sample from the hospital (my new shipment hasn’t arrived yet), so thank goodness for the back-up. The bags should last up to a week, just being emptied and flushed out occasionally. Each of these can easily be done in the toilet and in the shower, respectively.

I stood in the shower pulling away the stickum patch from my skin, cleaning, then letting the water run over my stoma. It’s really a nice looking stoma. I should enter a stoma beauty contest, at least my tummy looks nicer than some other stoma patients’ tummies.

Matt had prepared the space in the bedroom where he could work. I laid on the “operating table” (bed covered in sheets and towels). He analyzed my stoma, then disappeared for a few minutes, and had the new bag edited with the hole cut for my stoma to fit through. He turned on all the lights in the room, donned his glasses and went to work. We had a handy DVD from Hollister (the ostomy manufacturer) playing in the background. Matt peeled the backing from the sticky patch and I oriented the bag, then on it went! Just like that, and it was fresh and clean. Then “Phbpbpbpbp!” Excellent timing, the stoma had just started spitting again.

It’s not like I have muscles to hold in sounds and stools like a rectum does. So when I have to “go”, I “go”, irrespective of who’s around, where I am or what I have to say about it.

So when the stoma talks, no one’s around but Matt & I, and we just chuckle to each other because we both know the monumental journey I just went through to get to a sputtering stoma.

Leave a comment


  1. Janet Burgess aka Auntie Jan

     /  June 23, 2012

    Love your posts! And my dear Michelle….the muscles of the rectum seem to weaken as we age…maybe those of us with older exit shutes need to wear a bag!

    • cancer4me

       /  June 26, 2012

      Thanks Aunt Jan! Oh man, that doesn’t sound good; maybe someday I’ll return to the bag… at least I will be an old pro. But for now (after reversal surgery) I will celebrate being free of it!

  2. Alleluia Dear Michelle!!!!


Back Talk

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: